Is It Time To Reevaluate
Your Homeowner Insurance?
2011 has been a busy year for Mother Nature. Between deadly tornadoes, hurricanes, flooding and fires we’ve witnessed the devastation that can happen when storms blow through neighborhoods. Indeed, as a homeowner, you never know when inclement weather will dramatically affect your home, or even completely level it. In fact, too often homeowners make the mistake of not fully understanding their current insurance coverage which can save you hundreds of thousands of dollars should disaster strike. Whether you just bought a home or are in the process of buying one, make certain you have the right protection plan to keep your Home Sweet Home safe.
Coverage’s in a Homeowners Policy
Nearly all homeowner insurance policies provide a package of coverage’s. Here are the most common types of coverage’s.
- Dwellings. Pays for damages to your house and to structures attached to your house. This includes damage to fixtures, such as plumbing, electrical wiring, heating and permanently installed air-conditioning systems.
- Other Structures. Pays for damages to fences, tool sheds, freestanding garages, guest cottages and other structures not attached to your house.
- Personal Property. Reimburses you for the value of your possessions, including furniture, electronics, appliances and clothing, damaged or lost even when they aren’t on your property, such as those at an off-site storage locker or with your child at college.
- Loss of Use. Pays some of your additional living expenses while your home is being repaired.
- Personal Liability. Covers you financial loss if you are sued and found legally responsible for injuries or damages to someone else.
- Medical Payments. Pays medical bills for people hurt on your property or hurt by your pets.
As a real estate agent, I make it a priority to be in relationship with the best in our industry. If you’re looking to purchase homeowners insurance or would like to adjust your current policy, I would be happy to provide a list of trusted providers in your area.